Monthly Archives: January 2016

Grow Lights are Installed

I have completed installing the grow lights in the orchid room.  Connecting everything together was a little messy, and time consuming — but, it works!  There is a noticable difference in the lighting intensity in the room, especially on the … Continue reading

Posted in Infrastructure | Tagged | Leave a comment

Working on the Grow Lights

My grow light project is progressing.  I have purchased 4-1 red-blue LED strip lights.  They come in 3 meter lengths, and have about 60 lights per meter.  They also have a sticky back (which actually is not very long lasting), … Continue reading

Posted in Infrastructure | Tagged | Leave a comment

Checking my water

 After all was done with our plumbing system, and the RO systems was OK, I decided to check our water quality.  Our city has poor water with over 1000 ppm dissolved solids in the water (i.e., very hard water).  The … Continue reading

Posted in Infrastructure | Tagged | Leave a comment

RO Water System Adventures

I installed an under-sink RO system on November 9, 2015.  This system fed a drinking water tap at the sink, and also filled my 20-gallon RO water tank in the orchid room. About a month after installation, we noticed that … Continue reading

Posted in Infrastructure | Tagged | Leave a comment

Grow Lights

I have worked on the lighting in my orchid room quite a bit.  It is one of the difficulties of growing inside.  Those who have a greenhouse have a much easier time calculating the overall light falling on their plants, as … Continue reading

Posted in Infrastructure | Tagged | Leave a comment

Zygo Seedlings Update

I deflasked my Zygo seedlings on November 12, 2015.  They have done well since that time, although I have lost about five of them.  I let them dry out between waterings, and water with a weak solution of Inocucor Garden … Continue reading

Image | Posted on by | Tagged | Leave a comment

My Repotting Exercise is Done

I have finished the repotting of my entire collection (those orchids collected before September 15th).  This was because I had over-fertilized my orchids and most of the LECA had too much salt and was poisoning the pot environment.  I soaked the … Continue reading

Posted in Semi Hydrophonics | Tagged | Leave a comment